Saturday, September 11, 2010

Finished this book

I finished this book on September 3, 2010, and sent it off on September 8, after the usual reading over and fixes. I see that my original plan to keep a running record of writing it didn't work out too well. This is because what goes on in the writing process is not all that interesting, even for the writer. Also, if you read through all the problems a writer has in, say, devising a plot, and the ways in which he solved them, then there's no reason for you to read the book. Obviously, if you read the book cold, and enjoy it, it might be interesting to examine the sausage-making aspects of how it got written.

The title of the book will not, however be Tuxedo Man. The publisher has declared that it's not a good title from the marketing perspective. I don't know what this means, but it's their right to approve titles. I have actually picked very few of the titles of my books. I always suggest No Drums, No Trumpets, when they ask for suggestions, since my books rarely have drums or trumpets in them. I am actually thinks of a book that does have drums and trumpets in it, and maybe I will write it some day. Perhaps A Few Drums and Trumpets will be its title, I don't know.

I have to think up what to write next. Maybe I will bring back Jimmy Paz. The publisher would like me to write a book with angels and vampires in it, since these beings seem to sell a lot of books. Maybe I will do a Jimmy Paz with angels and vampires. Why not?


6 comments:

Susan R said...

I just discovered your website and am really enjoying the essays you've done both for their information and sense of humor. I had been wondering if you would be writing about Jimmy Paz again and am glad to see that you're considering it. He is a great character! Given your previous work, I have faith that you could create a unique and interesting story with Jimmy, angels, and vampires if that's what's required.

janthenat said...

Perhaps Jimmy could take up the trumpet and drums for this one, eh? Get that all out of the way in one fell swoop. ;^)

Unknown said...

I don't care what you have Jimmy doing -- I find his character (and all the others he runs across) to be a fun and interesting read. I loved the other books too, and always look forward to the next one, but Jimmy has a special place in my heart because HE is the guy who made me fall in love with your books! Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I can understand your initial reluctance to bring back Jimmy Paz. It's really hard to keep a "character series" from turning dull. At the same time, I think Jimmy's story isn't finished. I'd encourage you to at least consider another Paz book.

Barbara E. said...

Your publishers are insane if they don't realize you already have written about angels and vampires, in more unique forms than the reductive and overused tags. But then publishers do seem insane these days.

Jill Palethorpe said...

I know I'm coming in late to this discussion but that's because as an antidote to the utter drivel our book club reads I picked up the Jimmy Paz trilogy again and re-read it. Then I just had to find out whether Jimmy might re-surface (or re-descend, now that he's a demi god.) Barbara E. is right, your publishers are insane. Given that, you are such a wonderful writer that any encounter Jimmy Paz has with anything is better than 99% of the godawful Vampre/Demon?Werewolf canon. Just write him back into our universe, I beg you. I'm not exactly going to kill a bunny to make it happen but I might think about a rat or two....

Followers